Known as Kansas City's oldest fountain, The Women's Leadership Fountain has endured many changes and weathered many storms. Built in 1899 at a cost of $4,115, the fountain was known originally as the 9th Street Fountain.
After many years of non-use, the basin was excavated and repaired in 1970. In 1990, it was once again renovated --- this time at a cost of over $125,000 and renamed the Women's Leadership Fountain in honor of 12 local women who had shown leadership and had made long lasting contributions. Inscribed amongst the 12, is Mary Harmon Weeks, educator and founder of the Parent Teacher Association (PTA).