"I believe in living a poetic life, an art full life. Everything we do from the way we raise our children to the way we welcome our friends is part of a large canvas we are creating." Maya Angelou
Now that I'm 52, there are 52 things I want to accomplish over the next year. Here are the next 12 things (because 52 in one reading is just too much). To read 1-12, click here. To read 13-24, click here.
25. Do what I can to help bridge the racial divide. I have a few ideas.
26. Stop biting my nails.
27. Learn how to swim.
28. Teach my three youngest how to prepare a full meal. I'm talking meat, potatoes, vegetables, etc. (They're only 13, 19, 20... sigh...)
29. Use my leadership skills more often and trust the process that no matter what, it will all work out for good.
30. Learn Excel. I imagine the accountant at work with a big smile on her face, checking this off of her bucket list.
31. Get ethnicity and genealogical DNA testing done. Once I was at a gathering with many people of different backgrounds and this beautiful, young, black skinned man began a conversation with me. I asked where he was from and told me West Africa. He then asked where I was from. "A small town in Kansas," I said. "From America." He smiled, shook his head and said, "No where are you from?" I've never had anyone ask me that question in that way. "I don't know," I said, and he replied confidently, "You are from Ghana. You look like my cousins."
32. Get new prescription eyeglasses. Cute ones.
33. Write a letter to FLOTUS telling her all about our healthy eating, active living community initiatives.
34. Support as many locally sourced restaurants as possible.
35. Enroll in at least one self-improvement class/workshop/training.
36. Help to organize a block party for my block.
I'm participating in November's NaBloPoMo. Click here for the hundreds of other bloggers participating.